Sunday, September 09, 2007

Are you afraid to write 'cheesy' pop songs?


My apologies for taking so long to post another blog comment. I was extremely busy in the studio producing a couple of demo tracks for a couple of cool folks.

Anyway.

I wanted to address something that's been playing on my mind for a while. In fact, I've received numerous emails this and I'm sure I''ll receive may more in the future.

So many have expressed there dis-likeness to write a song that's cheesy. People say "corny is bad" or "anything cheesy should be shot dead".

I remember when rock group Aerosmith released their movie themed titled track 'I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing' (from the movie Armageddon) ...many fans completely dissed the song exclaiming "how could they record such a track?" "How could they record a song written by Dianne Warren?"

Just in case you didn't know, Dianne Warren is a multi- award winning songwriter who has written for the likes of Celine Dion, LeAnn Rimes, Eric Clapton and a plethora of other million-selling artists and bands.

You know what? I really didn't see the problem. I also don't have a problem writing 'pop' songs either. I don't even care if they sound cheesy. Hey, you can't write a credible masterpiece everytime now, can you? And why should you anyway?

As Aerosmith wanted to sing it, do you think they were embarrassed about it? Do you think they enjoyed performing the song? I think Steven Tyler and the band did a great job at it - both in record and in performance. Despite the fact they they are a 'rock group', aren't they allowed to take a shot at a cheesy pop ballad?

I think so. Which brings me to my main point.

Are you afraid to write a cheesy pop ballad? Are you in a situation where you just feel like if you DON'T write a cool, credible, clever masterpiece of a song that for some reason you'll get slated?

If so, then please trash those feelings today. There is nothing worse then a songwriter who feels caged in trying to write a song, but doesn't do so in fear of it sounding corny or cheesy.

So what if it does. It might even be a great corny pop song... like 'I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing'. Won't it still be a 'song'? In the end, haven't you just added another song to your catalogue?

Today you may write a cheesy pop ballad. Tomorrow (metaphorically speaking) you may write a clever masterpiece ...and the cycle continues. Don't try to stop yourself from writing a pop ballad because you fear it may sound cheesy. I say, write the darn song. Complete it. Every last lyric, every last melody, every last chord ...just finish it. And don't rush either... imagine you're writing the best darn pop ballad ever. Make it a beautiful pop ballad.

OK, sorry for the rant. I just had to get that out my system.

Speak soon...

Shamir
SongwritingTipsOnline.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!

Anonymous said...

I always had those feelings. But, after reading that post I feel better. Thanks. :P

Anonymous said...

Sure, nothing wrong with it, it's a talent too to be able to write decent cheesy popballads. I just prefer music coming straight from the heart, when it reflects the state the wongwriter is in, the effect will be more real

Anonymous said...

True, I suppose it is still a song even if it is a cheesy pop ballad. The thing is though that you will lose respect with some people for it, and that's why people are scared of writing cheesy pop ballads, for fear of losing respect. However, not all pop ballads are cheesy. Just look at Time Of Your Life by Green Day: 4 chords, and yet one of the most popular ballads around. So yeah, write a pop ballad. You never know what it will become.

Anonymous said...

Most songwriters give themselves too much credit and too much blame for the songs they write.

The good songs write themselves.

The good songs are merely transcribed and fine-tuned by good songwriters.

Good songwriters understand that they are only the messengers who are responsible for delivering those songs to the listening public.

Frederick

www.LyricsEvaluated.com

Anonymous said...

I would add that there are numerous examples of bands remaking cheesy pop songs to make them sound edgy, or cool, or whatever. So as soon as you finish your cheesy song, there's always the option of remaking it yourself, after a change of attitude (and possibly setting).